Saturday, May 2, 2009

Nesvizh, Belarus

Belarus-3, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Nesvizh is a city in Belarus. It is the administrative center of the Nesvizh District (rajon) of Minsk Province and location of the Architectural, Residential and Cultural Complex of the Radziwill Family at Nesvizh World Heritage Site.


Campbell Island, New Zealand

Campbell Island (Motu Ihupuku) is a remote, sub-Antarctic island of New Zealand and the main island of the Campbell Island group. It covers 112.68 km² of the group's 113.31 km² and is surrounded by numerous stacks, rocks and islets like Dent Island, Folly Island (or Folly Islands), Isle de Jeanette Marie, and Jacquemart Island, the latter being the southernmost extremity of New Zealand. The Island is mountainous, rising to over 500 metres in the south. A long fjord, Perseverance Harbour, nearly bisects it, exiting to the sea on the east coast.


Sammallahdenmäki, Finland

Finland-11, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Sammallahdenmäki is a Bronze age burial site in Finland in Lappi municipality. It was designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 1999, and includes 36 granite burial cairns dating back more than 3,000 years, to 1,500 to 500 BC. It is located on a hill in a remote area off the road between Tampere and Rauma. Originally, it was near the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia, but the land has risen so it is now 15 kilometers from the sea. It is one of the most important Bronze Age sites in Scandinavia.


Heard Island, Australia

Heard Island and McDonald Islands (abbreviated as HIMI) are a volcanic group of barren islands located in the Southern Ocean, about two-thirds of the way from Madagascar to Antarctica, approximately 4099 km south west of Perth. Discovered in the mid-19th century, they have been territories of Australia since 1947, and contain the only two active volcanoes in Australian territory, one of which, Mawson Peak, is the highest Australian mountain.
The group's overall size is 372 square kilometres (144 sq mi) in area, and it has 101.9 km of coastline. The islands are uninhabited.


Škocjan Caves, Slovenia

Slovenia-2, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Škocjan Caves is a system of limestone caves in the Kras (Karst) region in south western Slovenia, containing collapsed dolines, about five kilometres of underground passages, caves more than 200 metres deep and many waterfalls. This is one of the best-known sites in the world for the study of karstic (limestone) phenomena.


Torre del Mangia, Siena, Italy

Italy-17, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

The Torre del Mangia is a tower in Siena, in the Tuscany region of Italy. Built in 1325-1348, it is located in the Piazza del Campo, Siena's premier square, adiacent to the Palazzo Pubblico (Town Hall). When built it was one of the tallest secular towers in mediaeval Italy. At 102 m, it is now second only to Cremona's Torrazzo.


San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy

Italy-18, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

San Gimignano is a small walled medieval hill town in the province of Siena, Tuscany, north-central Italy. It is mainly famous for its medieval architecture, especially its towers, which may be seen from several kilometers outside the town.
The town also is known for the white wine, Vernaccia di San Gimignano, grown in the area.


Modena Cathedral, Italy

Italy-19, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Modena Cathedral is a Romanesque Roman Catholic cathedral church in Modena, Italy. It is the cathedral, or duomo in Italian, of the Archdiocese of Modena-Nonantola. Consecrated in 1184, it is one of the most important Romanesque buildings in Europe and a World Heritage Site.


Rome Forum, Aquileia, Italy

Italy-20, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Aquileia is an ancient Roman city in what is now Italy, at the head of the Adriatic at the edge of the lagoons, about 10 km from the sea, on the river Natiso (modern Natisone), the course of which has changed somewhat since Roman times.


Costiera Amalfitana, Italy

Italy-21, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

The Amalfi Coast, or Costiera Amalfitana in Italian, is a stretch of coastline on the southern side of the Sorrentine Peninsula of Italy (Province of Salerno), extending from Positano in the west to Vietri sul Mare in the east. The towns lying on the Amalfi Coast are Vietri sul Mare, Cetara, Maiori, Minori, Ravello, Scala, Atrani, Amalfi, Conca dei Marini, Furore, Praiano and Positano.
Renowned for its rugged terrain, scenic beauty, picturesque towns and diversity, the Amalfi Coast is listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.


Verona Arena, Verona, Italy

Italy-22, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

The Verona Arena (Arena di Verona) is a Roman amphitheatre in Verona, Italy, which is internationally famous for the large-scale opera performances given there. It is one of the best preserved ancient structures of its kind.


Basilica Palladiana, Vicenza, Italy

Italy-23, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

The Basilica Palladiana is a Renaissance building in the central Piazza dei Signori in Vicenza, north-eastern Italy. The most notable feature of the edifice is the loggia, which shows one of the first examples of the what came to be known as the Palladian window, designed by a young Andrea Palladio, whose work in architecture was to have a significant effect on the field during the Renaissance and later periods.


Crete, Greece

Crete is the largest of the Greek islands and the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea at 8,336 km² (3,219 square miles).
Crete was the center of the Minoan civilization (ca. 2600–1400 BC), the oldest Greek civilization.


Würzburg Residence, Würzburg, Germany

Germany-27, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

The Würzburg Residenz (Residence) is a palace in Würzburg, Germany. It was designed by several of the leading Baroque architects. Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Maximilian von Welsch, leading representants of the Austrian/South German Baroque were involved as well as Robert de Cotte and Germain Boffrand, who were prominent architects of the French Style. Balthasar Neumann, architect of the court of the bishop of Würzburg, was the principal architect of the Residenz, which was commissioned by the prince bishop of Würzburg Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn and his brother Friedrich Carl von Schönborn in 1720 and was completed in 1744. The Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, assisted by his son, Domenico, painted frescoes in the building. The most spectacular interiors include the grand staircase, the chapel and the grand salon. The building was dubbed the "nicest parsonage in Europe" by Napoleon. It was heavily damaged in World War II, and restoration has been in progress since 1945.


Bamberg, Germany

Germany-23, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Bamberg is a town in Bavaria, Germany. It is located in Upper Franconia on the river Regnitz, close to its confluence with the river Main. Bamberg is one of the few cities in Germany that was not destroyed by World War II bombings because of a nearby Artillery Factory that prevented planes from getting near to Bamberg. Bamberg is home to nearly 7,000 foreign nationals, including over 4,100 members of the United States Army and their dependents. The name Bamberg is supposed to have its origin in the House of Babenberg.


St. Michael's Church, Hildesheim, Germany

Germany-24, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

The Church of St. Michael in Hildesheim, Germany, is an early-Romanesque church. It has been on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list since 1985.


Speyer, Germany

Germany-25, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Speyer is a city in Germany, located beside the river Rhine. It lies 25 km south of Ludwigshafen and Mannheim. Its oldest known name was Civitas Nemetum, named by a Teutonic tribe, the Nemeter, settling in this area. Around the year 500 Spira appears as the town's name in scriptures.
Speyer has a compact centre which is dominated by the Speyer Cathedral, a number of churches and the Altpörtel (Old town gate). In the cathedral, beneath the high altar, are the tombs of eight German emperors and kings.

The card shows Kaiserdom, which is originally the name of one of the emperors built cathedral.


Aachen Cathedral, Aachen, Germany

Germany-26, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Aachen Cathedral, frequently referred to as the "Imperial Cathedral", is a Roman Catholic church in Aachen, Germany. The church is the oldest cathedral in northern Europe and was known as the "Royal Church of St. Mary at Aachen" during the Middle Ages. For 600 years, from 936 to 1531, the Aachen chapel was the church of coronation for 30 German kings and 12 queens. The church is the episcopal seat of the Diocese of Aachen.


Santimamiñe Cave, Basque Country

Santimamiñe cave, Kortezubi, Biscay, Basque Country is one of the most important archaeological sites of the Basque Country, including a nearly complete sequence from the Middle Paleolithic to the Iron Age.


Canal du Midi, France

France-2, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

The Canal du Midi is a 240 km (150 mi) long canal in Southern France (French: le Midi). The canal connects the Garonne River to the Étang de Thau on the Mediterranean and along with the Canal de Garonne forms the Canal des Deux Mers joining the Atlantic to the Mediterranean. The canal runs from the city of Toulouse down to the Mediterranean port of Sète—which was founded to serve as the eastern terminus of the canal.


Roros, Norway

Norway-1, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Røros was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). It was split into four municipalities on 1 January 1926 (Røros town, Røros landsogn, Brekken, and Glåmos), but these four were merged together again on 1 January 1964.
The town is named after the old Røros farm ("Røraas" around 1530), since the town was built on its ground. The first element is the river name Røa and the last element is os meaning "mouth of a river" (the small river Røa runs into the great river Glåma here). The meaning of the river name Røa is unknown.


Stockholm, Sweden

Sweden-5, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Kungsträdgården (Swedish for "King's Garden") is a park in central Stockholm, Sweden. It is colloquially known as Kungsan.


Tanumshede, Tanum, Sweden

Sweden-6, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Tanumshede is a locality and the seat of Tanum Municipality in Västra Götaland County. As Rock Carvings in Tanum, the area around Tanumshede has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO because of the high concentration of petroglyphs.
Clockwise from left,
1) Hallristningar Vitlycke
2) Kaffestugan Vitlycke
3) Telesatelitstationen


Avebury, United Kingdom

Avebury is the site of a large henge and several stone circles in the English county of Wiltshire surrounding the village of Avebury. It is one of the finest and largest Neolithic monuments in Europe dating to around 5,000 years ago. It is older than the megalithic stages of Stonehenge, which is located about 32 kilometres (20 mi) to the south, although the two monuments are broadly contemporary overall.


Aggsbach, Wachau, Austria

Austria-11, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Aggsbach is a small wine-growing town in the Krems-Land district of Lower Austria, Austria.
Aggsbach was first mentioned in a 1148 document calling it "Accusabah". Today Aggsbach is most famous for being the place where the Venus of Willendorf was found, in the Willendorf hamlet. The actual female fertility figure is located in the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna, while a life size reproduction is located in a field in Willendorf. The other hamlets are Aggsbach Markt (the main town), Groisbach, and Köfering.


Mautern an der Donau, Wachau, Austria

Austria-12, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Mautern an der Donau is a town in the district of Krems-Land in the Austrian state of Lower Austria. It is a municipality with about 3.500 inhabitants, situated northerly the Danube. In former times ships cruised the Danube, when they passed Mautern they had to pay a toll. The town got its name from there because toll means "Maut" in German. Before it has got this name it had been called Favianis by the Romans.


Vienna, Austria

Austria-13, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

Vienna is the capital of the Republic of Austria and also one of the nine states of Austria.


Durnstein, Wachau, Austria

Austria-09, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.

The Wachau is an Austrian valley with a landscape of high visibility formed by the Danube river. It is one of the most prominent tourist destinations of Lower Austria, located precisely between the towns of Melk and Krems. It is 30 km in length and was already settled in prehistoric times. A well-known place and tourist magnet is Dürnstein, where King Richard the Lion-Heart of England was held captive by Duke Leopold V.
Dürnstein is a small town on the Danube river in the Krems-Land district, in the Austrian state of Lower Austria. It is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the Wachau region and also a well-known wine growing area.


The Saint-Trinity Church (16th Centuary), Mir, Belarus

Belarus-3, originally uploaded by Abhishek's Received Postcards.